java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Sunday, January 31, 2010

going to church

Sunday morning. I love going to church, and rarely have I felt worse after church than I did before. There have been times, I suppose. Some churches seem to go out of their way to make their members feel bad. But, even so, I like going.

The psalmist said I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the LORD." (Psalm 122:1). I agree. I just like going to church. As a pastor, I love the whole process and tend to be very disappointed when others do not share my joy at it all.

I have always had such a picture of the joyous celebration that worship should be, and cannot for the life of me figure out why others do not share it. why go to church to be somber, or miserable? It is so worthless. We go to worship the Lord of creation. If he is truly out God and if we truly love him, why be somber. Of course, I do not advocate leaping around without meaning, anarchy or bedlam in the church building. Joyous worship and chaos are not the same thing. But still.

And, of course, I love preaching and teaching and praising and praying and communion. I just like the whole thing. Fortunately, so does my wife. There are times when we just like to go to the church and play guitar and sing.

Through the past few years as the Assembly of God was making it plain to me that I was not welcome, we have fallen off on a lot of this. But I intend to do it more when we get settled in our new church.

Coffee’s good this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.