java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, January 30, 2010

moving and dwelling

We are moving to Lincoln, NE, in a few weeks to accept a pastorate there and I had to go get boxes. Banana boxes are the best as they are double walled when the top is on. You can stack a box of anvils on top of a box of feathers, they are so strong.

We are looking forward to our coming in to a pastorate of a Foursquare church. Our brief sojourn in the Assembly of God was a bad scene, as we used to say. There are some places I just do not fit. I suppose it is the mindset. I am not traditional nor old-fashioned. I also tend to read too much and make friends outside the church. AG tends to be introspective, even to the point at times of being exclusionary. I had enough of exclusionary when I left the Church of Christ, non-instrumental, and realized that I had gone right back into a church that felt deep down that they were the only true recipients of God’s grace. That is a little harsh, I suppose, and I do not mean for it to be. But I found out several years ago that I am a kingdom man. I believe in the church universal, not just in a denomination. The Foursquare church seems to agree with me in that. They see themselves as a unity movement, part of the whole, rather than most of the whole. I like that.
I suppose that with my mindset, I will never fit into any denomination fully. And at my age, I doubt that I will try real hard.

All I really want to do is serve God and love his church. Is that really so much?

Psalm 15

LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill?
He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue,
who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur on his fellowman,
who despises a vile man but honors those who fear the LORD,
who keeps his oath even when it hurts,
who lends his money without usury and does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things will never be shaken.

This is what I want. To live in his grace and be counted a worthy servant, to hear him say, Well done. I have no real desire to be great or have a large church. My desire is to do his will where I am; to love a church and to have them love me; to show that church the grace that I feel in my life. That’s it.

If I do that, I will dwell in his sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.