java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, May 5, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
You will be my people, and I will be your God. (Jeremiah 30:22)
We have a disobedient cat. Prisca is what Ella named her and she is a beautiful black cat, but in general, she is not affectionate and she is not obedient.

And I hate a disobedient animal around the house. She scratches things, tears up the toilet paper every night, loves to knock glasses off onto the concrete floor where they shatter into a trillion pieces.

She goes where we tell her not to, and won’t do what we tell her to do. In general, she is a disobedient little cat. Now I know cats are different than dogs and all that.

But this one is more so than any other. I suppose that all cats are wired that way. Dogs are eager to please, cats don’t really care either way. They will do it if it is convenient, otherwise no. They trade off being fluffy and figure that is good enough.

But another thing she does. She talks to us. We ask her something and she answers. She is the most conversing cat we have ever had. If you tell her she was a bad cat, she will explain why she wasn’t. If you ask her if she wants something, she will try to tell you. When you come in the door, she is there to say hi.

Sometimes, her attempts at speech appear almost human. It is as if she is trying to tell you something, but there is this species gap between the two of you and she can’t quite bridge it.

But Ella loves her. I personally think she would be a great crock-pot dish, but Ella loves her little Prisca. Stupid cat.

We are not God’s pets. Our relationship is different than that. But in many ways, he is as high above us and we are above Prisca. And in our limited way, we speak to him and he answers.

We too are disobedient. I suppose that if he were a God who would do so, he could look down each day and see us as disobedient. Stupid human, he could shout. You are a bad person! And we would try to explain why we sinned and why we fell short.

But it is because we are wired that way. And he knows it. We do the wrong thing because it is easiest. And when we do, we know we have done wrong.

Prisca knows when she has done wrong, and the phrase “Bad Kitty” will drive her into another room to lie under the bed. I almost imagine her under there saying, no, I’m not a bad kitty.

But the problem is, we are wired bad. And the only way to become good is let God rewire us, to let him change us, make us different. Then and only then can we become useful in his kingdom.

We are not pets, we are children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. And he is our God. And if we let him, we become useful in his kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.