java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. And since we know he hears us when we make our requests, we also know that he will give us what we ask for. (1 John 5:14-15)
Now here is the conundrum. What if he doesn’t give you what you ask for. The Bible clearly says that he hears us and will give us what we ask for. What about when he doesn’t.

I don’t have an answer to this question. I have heard a lot of pseudo-answers. He gives you what you need. Sometimes he says maybe. God knows what is best for you. He is not an order from or a warehouse. I even used that one today in my daily devotional on Facebook.

But the problem is that they are all junk. Theological drivel designed to hide the fact that we do not have the slightest idea how to answer the very real problem.

What happens when you pray for something and you need it, but God doesn’t give it. In fact, it is as if you are praying to a giant void, like your prayers are going no higher than your living room or even church ceiling.

You pray and pray and you fast and ask. You seek the Lord, you read the word, you do everything you are supposed to do and there is no answer.

People always bring up the apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 11 when he says that he had prayed for healing three times and God finally told him no. “My grace is sufficient for you,” God said.

But that wouldn’t even be bad, if he would just say no. Or I am thinking about it, or later or something. Anything.

But instead, there is deafening silence. Does it mean he doesn’t love you? That he doesn’t care? I don’t think it does. But it sure feels like it. I will have to admit that the idea of a God who does not love us and care for us presents a bleak universe, one I don’t want to live in.

So I know he cares. His word says so, and I believe it. And like the old schmaltzy song says, “If you can’t see his hand, trust his heart.” Sure.

But there comes a time that it becomes more and more difficult to trust that he is there. When there is no indication of it, it gets hard.

Jesus says that our heavenly Father is better than we are as fathers. You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him. (Matthew 7:9-11)

However, I would never ignore my children, never refuse to even give them the time of day. That is what he did to people in the Old Testament like King Saul who had disobeyed him. That is not how he treats his children today. Especially when that child has spent his entire life serving him as a minister, teaching of his love, suffering under the difficulties that come from being a pastor, loving him.

An article today of nothing but questions and problems. And no answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.