java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

my hand is in a cast

But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. (Matthew 6:3).
No problem for me this week. I had my hand operated on last Tuesday for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and it hurts like crazy. And I have this rather large brace on it, so it is hard to make it work right. Between the swelling and the brace and all, I even have trouble pulling my pants up.

I knew you were concerned.

I have thought this week about the one-armed people I have known in my life that seemed to do a good job with just one arm.

One guy had just a little below his elbow that came to a point. However, I never saw anyone fold sheets faster than he could. He would whip them around somehow and push his stump into the sheet and hold it like that. You ceased to notice his disability after a while.

Another guy had part of one arm and I invented a way for him to play guitar. He never got around to it but it seemed like it would work.

Typing is also hard, as I can only use two fingers on my right hand. I am a very fast typist normally, but this slows me down considerably. It is surprising, however, what you can do if you want to.

On man on my Facebook page (my cousin Truette in Texas) did comment on how I could be long winded and still be crippled in my right hand. It takes a lot to put me down.

I have noticed some odd things. For one thing, bathing is real hard one handed. I put a bag over my right hand with duct tape (ouch coming off – I am a hairy guy) and that helped some but still.

Some funny things. Since I am right handed, I brush my teeth with my right hand. It is very hard with my left. The left hand doesn’t know how to move right. And what is funny is that my right hand will move with my left when I brush, kind of like a mother will smack her lips with her baby when she feeds it. Kind of a sympathetic movement.

And I have to use a tablespoon to eat with. My right hand will not yet hold a fork or anything since it has that brace in the way, and my left hand is extremely uncooperative. So I have to hold the plate close and kind of shovel.

Isn’t it sad? The poor little man is having trouble feeding himself. I notice that I have forced myself to get enough nutrition to stay alive.

But I am ready to be through and still have a few days left before they will take off the cast.

Don’t tell the doctor but I took it off and looked. Ella got mad that I “disobeyed the doctor” but I needed to look. He would have done the same. Needless to say, it is grotesque. Enough for now. My hand is tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.