java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
No one lights a lamp and then covers it with a bowl or hides it under a bed. A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light can be seen by all who enter the house. For all that is secret will eventually be brought into the open, and everything that is concealed will be brought to light and made known to all. (Luke 8:16-17)
I was reading an article about conservatives in Hollywood. It mentioned that, for the most part, they have to stay underground. Hollywood is hostile to conservatism and liberals rule almost everything. So the average conservative has to lay low.

I have heard of the same thing happening there with Christians. Christians espouse a lifestyle that Hollywood hates. So if they want to have work, they have to be careful.

I have problems with that. On the one hand, I can see the difficulty. It is like Christians in Muslim countries, or in the old Communist countries. They had to be careful if they wanted to stay alive, much less worship.

On the other hand, what good does it do to be a Christian if you cannot ell anyone? Jesus was very forceful with what he believed, as were the apostles and preachers in the book of Acts. They said what they believed and suffered greatly for it.

Of course, there is a lot to be said in living behind the scenes, changing things as you can. And someone living behind the scenes is better than no one living at all. There is that.

It does seem a shame to have to hide (or if not hide, then greatly diminish) your Christianity in order to survive. And I am not sure Hollywood is worth the sacrifice. I do know and have read often of Christians coming to Hollywood determined to make a big difference and then being turned.

And it is a shame. Not surprising, considering the influence Hollywood has on our culture, that it could turn some lowly actor or director.

I would hate to have to live like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.