java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Saturday, March 3, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death. (Proverbs 14:12)
Texas Independence Day was this past week. I’m sure you are as worn out from the celebrations as I am. You did go to Texas Independence Day celebrations, didn’t you?

It is kind of funny (in an ironic, relative sense, not in a ha-ha sense) that there is nothing stranger than a Texas historian and aficionado who lives somewhere else. In some ways kind of worthless.

But I suppose, no stranger than Civil War historians who choose the South when they live in Indiana or something like that. I have known some of those. Or Italian background people who choose an Indian way of life (that was the guy in the old litter campaigns – the Indian who had a tear in his eye over litter). Or a diabetic pastry chef, or an atheist who can quote great blocks of the Bible.

I have a fondness for classic rock and roll and like to know more about the people who performed it. A lot of them are dead now (Davy Jones of the Monkees died this week), but I enjoy it anyway.

The fondness, of course, is not bad. It is the obsession that gets bad. If all I did was listen to that music and grow my hair out and pretend to be a rock musician, especially at my age, that would be strange whether I thought it was or not.

The same goes with Texas history. If I were to walk around in period clothing and carry a flintlock rifle and pretend it was 1836, that would be weird whether or not I thought so. Ella sure wouldn’t like it. A smelly bearded guy in leather (think Davy Crockett, not Jim Morrison) would not be welcomed.

But then comes the difference. Just because you do something doesn’t make it right or normal. A pregnant woman who feels her baby kick and then goes and has an abortion. A heart attack victim with high cholesterol who cannot keep off the butter-fried pork chops. Or a guy with an oxygen machine smoking a cigarette.

That is not to say that a Texas historian living in Missouri is the same as a smoking guy on an oxygen machine. But just because you believe something is good doesn’t mean it is.

We are of course not talking about Christian opinion. That is different. Just because you think something is wrong does not mean it is necessarily wrong. But, on the other hand, just because you think something is right doesn’t mean it is right either.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how people who believe in abortion or euthanasia can justify their beliefs, much less think God would do so. It may seem right to you and you may call it that but it goes counter to all God said in his word.

Texas history, Civil War history, being a pretend Indian – nothing really wrong with those. You can call them historical reenactment and sound cool.

But just because you like it or think it is right doesn’t mean it is. You could be on a road to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.