java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

easter is coming

Easter is coming. I am really looking forward to it.

We never celebrated Easter as anything but a pagan holiday when I was growing up. It is not that we were pagans, but that the church we belonged to considered Christian holidays to be wrong.

So we celebrated the pagan side of it all. They would not have acknowledged that to be true, but it was.

If you strip Easter of the resurrection and leave in the eggs, the rabbits and all of the ancient fertility symbols, you celebrate the pagan side. The same goes for Christmas. Take away Jesus and the Christian symbolism of Santa and you have nothing but paganism.

We, of course, didn’t go around dressed as druids and offer cats as sacrifices or anything like that. It was just that we denied the holy part and kept the unholy part.

So because of that, I really look forward to Easter and all of the stuff that goes with it. And we have just about gotten rid of all of the other stuff.

The same, again, with Christmas. We are trying very hard to recognize the holy part of Christmas and not dwell on presents and stuff like that. It is much harder for us to move over on Christmas than it is for Easter. There is a mindset that comes with the commercial side of Christmas that is very hard to overcome.

Easter not so much. After all, Easter is the crux of Christianity. It is the very center, the focal point of all we do.

Jesus died, was buried and rose from the dead. That is Easter.

And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.