java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

daily java

Daily Java: “Who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,”- 2 Timothy 1:9

When I set the table, I always put out napkins. It is a fact that people will be messy when they eat. You know they will and so do they. The napkins are not encouragement to be messy, nor are they necessarily an act of prescience on my part. It is just that I know that messiness is built into the process of eating. So I put out napkins.

When God made people, he knew that if he made them the way he did, they would screw up. It is in our natures to be messy with our lives. Any tme you have free choice, you are going to have messes.

That is because rarely do people use free choice worth a flip.

It is kind of like my directional sense. It is sorry. I can’t tell which way is north or south. My father could always tell, my sister and brother can, my wife can. If he could talk, I imagine Mordecai, my wife’s antique cat, could tell. But not me.

And because of that, when given the choice, I almost always turn the wrong direction.

From the beginning of time, God knew we would turn the wrong direction when given the choice.

Ephesians 1 says, Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will — 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

Before the creation of the world God knew we would mess up. So, in advance, before people or trees or anything else was made, he set up grace.

When he set the great cosmic table, before the meal was even cooked, much less served and eaten, he put out napkins. So when we got stuff on us from eating the great meal of life, we could clean it off.

The napkins are, of course, grace. And the meal is life. Some of us would need a case of napkins per meal, but his grace is all-encompassing, or as 2 Corinthians 12:9 says, sufficient to show his power.

Thank you, Lord, for your grace in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.