java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

daily java

Daily Java:
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord. (Ephesians 6:4)
It has been a year since my father passed away. He died at 1:25 PM today a year ago.

I have thought about him a lot in this past year, more probably than I usually did when he was alive.

He was a good man, and as much as he could be, a godly man. The word says, all sin and fall short of the glory, and he did, of course. As do I and all fathers. We are at best a shadow, a faint simulacrum of what we should be. God shows us a model of a Father and says that we are to try to be like it. And we do. And my father did.

We never agreed on a lot of things. But I always knew he loved me. he worked hard to take care of his family, and there was never any doubt in our lives who was in charge. My mother loved him and kept the home, took care of the kids, cooked the meals. She took care to live within his income and to honor him in our home. She called him the father when referring to him to us.

I could not have gotten a better model as a child.

I just hope I can be thought of by my children as he is by his when I am gone.

I loved my dad and I miss him.

1 comment:

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.