java soaked theological philosophy and associated blather from a spiritual nomad

Disclaimer

I am a man with a great love for my Lord, the church and her members, and for coffee, strong and black.
I also have a great love for writing.
Everything I say here is my own opinion. Why in the world would I hold someone else's opinion?

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

daily java

Daily Java:
I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. (Philippians 3:12-14)
It is the New Year tomorrow night. The old year with all its sorrows and difficulties and all its joys and successes is gone. Bad things and good things are gone, not to be recalled except in memory.

Was it a lousy year? Then it is time now that you can work to make it better. It was not your fault that it was so bad? Maybe not, but you can do something to make it better.

Was it a great year? Maybe so, but the absolutely true thing is that you cannot live on your past successes. Sooner or later you have to do something else. High school reunions are filled with old jocks who do nothing but recall past glories, but have not done anything lately.

Even the apostle Paul said that anything he had done before was gone and he had to move forward. He looks instead of backward, he looks forward. What can he do this year? What great things will be accomplished this year? It is the end that really matters, not the stuff you do between.

Yes, those things are good and important. But when people see you, they do not see the past successes nor the past failures. They see you and what you are doing right this minute.

And I have learned this past couple of weeks that there is no real guarantee of a future. You may not make it past this year. And as you stand before God, what do you want to come to him with? A bunch of excuses? Or successes?

God does not save us according to the good things we have done. That is works salvation and the Bible never commends that. On the other hand, do I want to show up before God with nothing but excuses. “Well, you know, God, I meant to do good stuff, but this kept happening and those people didn't like me and I got sick and on and on.”

Instead, we press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize. We move on from where we are and go to a better place. We become good workers, faithful stewards. We become better at our language, at our actions, at things that really matter.

When we do that, we move on, and we press on and we accomplish something great in God.

With his grace we can. Move with him this year.

Happy New Year from brother John and sister Ella.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, post your comment and click the anonymous button. It would be nice if you signed it so I could know who you are.
You are welcome to say anything you want as long as it is nice. If I don't like it, or it is ugly, I will take it off, place it into the garbage disposal, grind it up, and allow it to be flushed into the Gulf of Mexico where it will be eaten by a fish and then excreted where it will lie on the bottom of the ocean until it is covered up by other comments.